Analyze a piece of health legislation, a regulation, or a policy issue with significance to nursing. You may identify an issue from media reports, the professional literature, or from personal interest. Include how historical, personal values, social, financial, and other influences have shaped the policy. Though the one you develop will not be as detailed, one of the course texts, Mason, Leavitt & Chaffee (2007) has information about the content of each of the policy issue analysis section headings below as well as a very detailed example of a policy issue analysis on pages 83 -91.
Write a 4-5 page policy issue analysis using the following guidelines and evaluation criteria.
· Use a minimum of 7 references from the professional nursing literature in the assigned course readings and other references. If they are relevant, you may use one or two professional web sites in addition to the literature references.
Since this is a policy issue analysis, there is no introductory paragraph in this assignment.
Use the title of your policy issue analysis for the main heading on the cover page and the first page of the analysis. Use the following headings for the rest of the analysis.
1. Problem identification (1 paragraph)
2. Background (1-2 paragraphs)
3. Stakeholders (1 paragraph)
4. Issue statement (1 sentence or question)
5. Policy objectives (1 introductory sentence and 1 objective) – 40 points
6. Policy alternatives (1 paragraph)
7. Evaluation criteria (1 introductory sentence and 1 criterion for evaluation) – 40 points
8. Summary and recommended policy (1 paragraph) – 20 points
Proofread your paper as described in the tips for success in this course and correct any typos, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, or APA format errors before submitting your paper in the Dropbox. You can have up to 50 points deducted from your grade for this assignment for these types of errors, or for not using at least the minimum number of required professional literature references.